Healthy food does not have to be boring food! Join the conversation on 19th August from 12:30pm to 01:00pm as Saneika Stewart speaks to Chef Oji Jaja – Owner/ Ashebre The Virtual Restaurant.We will be live on IG @zimmerglobal.
We did a Q&A with Chef Jaja to get to know him a little better. Here are the questions and answers from this.
Z:What inspired you to become a Chef?
Chef J: I like the effect it has on persons when I prepare food for them.
Z: Food to you in one word.
Chef J: Limitless.
Z: Cooking with cannabis/CBD has been….
Chef J: Very inspiring.
Z: What’s one secret hack that you can share with us?
Chef J: Season in stages. This allows the flavor of each ingredient to be enhanced.
Z: What’s one piece of advice you have for aspiring Chefs who want to strike out on their own?
Chef J: Take your time, be patient and own your skill.
Z: Your thoughts on the impact of the current situation on the hospitality and food sector.
Chef J: Very unfortunate but just like in any other crisis there are opportunities.
Z: If not a chef, what would you be?
Chef J: Nothing.
Z: One place you have as a must visit on your list.
Chef J: Egypt. There is a lot of history that i would like to connect with.
Z: Five ingredients you will always have in your kitchen.
Chef J: Garlic, escallion, thyme, scotch bonnet pepper & salt.
Z: Favorite home cooked meal?
Chef J: Ackee and saltfish, avocado, fried ripe plantains, and rice and peas.
Z: Relaxing to you is…
Chef J: Being alone.
Z: One person who has inspired you
Chef J: Dennis McIntosh
Z: What advice would you give your younger self, knowing what you know today?
Chef J: Always be yourself.
About Chef Oji Jaja
- Accomplished Culinary Artist with over 22 years experience in the culinary industry and restaurant consulting.
- Owner and operator of Jaja Culinary Services trading as Ashebre.
- Trained at the Runaway Bay HEART Academy and the world famous Ritz Carlton Hotel, Florida USA.
- Consultant for Usain Bolt’s Tracks and Records in Kingston, Montego Bay and London.
- Resident Chef for Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes while in Jamaica.
- In demand Chef for destination weddings and special events.
- Nominated for several awards to include Jamaica Observer Caterer of the year, Chef of the Year, and received the award for culinary innovator in honor of ‘Jamaica 50’ (Jamaica’s 50th year of independence.